"Where else would you go when you have an ax to grind?"

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

It's been a hard day's night Not everyone enjoyed the band as much as I did

I saw this band at a Xmas party in our Tokyo suburb. It was a spot-on Beatle tribute band made up of four local government employees. They had the whole thing down cold -- the same matching suits, the same instruments, even the same boots as the Beatles. They even managed the same vocal harmonies, no easy feat! I was quite enjoying them until about their fourth or fifth number, the chorus of which went like this: "Rub, rub me do. You know I rub you. I always be two, so pea-e-e-e-e-e-ease, rub me do. "

I couldn't really concentrate too well after that, what with the wine coming out of my nose and my sides aching. It was all I could do not to start requesting Rutles songs.

h/t to Steve Resume


3 comments:

David Webb said...

I haven't really thought this out, and I am in a rush, but I think you may have discovered a new musical meme.

How about Western cover bands, that cover Japanese bands, who cover Western bands? Or has that been done already? Damn. Then substitute Japanese with Québecois and you have a whole new market. Trust me, I have seen them and they exist (the Québecois cover bands that is). They just aren't as fun as the Japanese.

But really, who is?

Rev.Paperboy said...

I'm all ready planning to start my own blues-hard rock cover band called "Red Zepplin"

Dave said...

♫ And I rub herrr...♫

You could do Rhythm and Brews! :-)