"Where else would you go when you have an ax to grind?"

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

It's been a hard day's night Not everyone enjoyed the band as much as I did

I saw this band at a Xmas party in our Tokyo suburb. It was a spot-on Beatle tribute band made up of four local government employees. They had the whole thing down cold -- the same matching suits, the same instruments, even the same boots as the Beatles. They even managed the same vocal harmonies, no easy feat! I was quite enjoying them until about their fourth or fifth number, the chorus of which went like this: "Rub, rub me do. You know I rub you. I always be two, so pea-e-e-e-e-e-ease, rub me do. "

I couldn't really concentrate too well after that, what with the wine coming out of my nose and my sides aching. It was all I could do not to start requesting Rutles songs.

h/t to Steve Resume


3 comments:

David said...

I haven't really thought this out, and I am in a rush, but I think you may have discovered a new musical meme.

How about Western cover bands, that cover Japanese bands, who cover Western bands? Or has that been done already? Damn. Then substitute Japanese with Qu├ębecois and you have a whole new market. Trust me, I have seen them and they exist (the Qu├ębecois cover bands that is). They just aren't as fun as the Japanese.

But really, who is?

the rev. said...

I'm all ready planning to start my own blues-hard rock cover band called "Red Zepplin"

Dave said...

♫ And I rub herrr...♫

You could do Rhythm and Brews! :-)