"Where else would you go when you have an ax to grind?"

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

a project

My plan for this year is to read at least 50 books - just about one a week, which for me shouldn't really be a stretch provided I don't get too bogged down on something long and challenging - so naturally I hope to read lots of challenging material this year without too much rereading of stuff with which I"m already familiar. I'll try to post at least once a week telling you what I'm reading and what I thought of it. I welcome your suggestions in comments.
Admittedly, the first two books of the year are not exactly "A La Recherche du Temps Perdu" but  I'm sure they won't be the trashiest thing I read this year.

#1 - The Life of Python
By George Perry
Written just after the release of  "The Meaning of Life" as a biography of the Monty Python gang, it does offer some insight into the way they worked, but is dry as the sahara. Go watch them in action instead of reading this now largely irrelevant career chronology.

#2 -  Sherlock Holmes and the Giant Rat of Sumatra
By  Richard L. Boyer
Part of a 1970's Holmes revival, recently reprinted. Reasonably workman-like prose, a few plot holes, but mostly a solid genre read. Apparently,  rewrites of this particular title, mentioned in one of the original Conan Doyle stories, has been essayed at least three times by three different authors.






http://www.wikio.com

2 comments:

Leanne said...

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter-Carson McCuller, When Broken Glass Floats- Chanrithy Him, The Custodian of Paradise-Wayne Johnston, Immortality-Milan Kundera, Any and all by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. All very good stories, Rev. Hope this helps.

Rev.Paperboy said...

I like Kundera and Marquez a lot, and always meant to get around to the The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. I've not heard of the others but will have to go looking for them. Thanks for the recommendations.