"Where else would you go when you have an ax to grind?"

Thursday, July 23, 2009

And they don't shed on the rug either

A little something for our friends Dan and Tammy at Jackson Street Books:

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"
-Groucho Marx

Books I am reading now:
  • Nixonland (still dipping into it a bit at a time - a fantastic modern political history of the United States)
  • Against the Day (after 18 months-the longest I've ever spent reading any single book-I'm finally nearing the end of this Thomas Pynchon epic.)
  • Appaloosa (a nice little western by Robert B. Parker, recently made into a film written and directed by Ed Harris, who stars along with Viggo Mortensen)
  • The Rum Diaries (Hunter Thompson's semi-autobiographical novel of expat journo life in Puerto Rico, soon to be a major motion picture)
Books just finished:
  • Resolution (Sequel to Appaloosa)
  • The Tonto Woman and other stories (great collection of Western short stories by Elmore Leonard, including Three-ten to Yuma, an office discussion of which started me on the whole Western kick recently)
What's on your summer reading list?

2 comments:

David Webb said...

I'm not wishing my children to grow too fast, but I am looking forward to reading again. One day. Lucky bastard.

SeattleDan said...

Hee, hee...Thanks! I love the photo.

I'm reading "How Rome Fell", a recent book on what the title describes. Also Robin Wright's "Evolution of God", which so far seems to be a history of religions, especially the Abrahamic ones. I'm looking forward to "Cooperstown Confidential" which promises to be the inside story on the Baseball Hall-of-Fame.