"Where else would you go when you have an ax to grind?"

Thursday, July 23, 2009

And they don't shed on the rug either

A little something for our friends Dan and Tammy at Jackson Street Books:

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"
-Groucho Marx

Books I am reading now:
  • Nixonland (still dipping into it a bit at a time - a fantastic modern political history of the United States)
  • Against the Day (after 18 months-the longest I've ever spent reading any single book-I'm finally nearing the end of this Thomas Pynchon epic.)
  • Appaloosa (a nice little western by Robert B. Parker, recently made into a film written and directed by Ed Harris, who stars along with Viggo Mortensen)
  • The Rum Diaries (Hunter Thompson's semi-autobiographical novel of expat journo life in Puerto Rico, soon to be a major motion picture)
Books just finished:
  • Resolution (Sequel to Appaloosa)
  • The Tonto Woman and other stories (great collection of Western short stories by Elmore Leonard, including Three-ten to Yuma, an office discussion of which started me on the whole Western kick recently)
What's on your summer reading list?


David said...

I'm not wishing my children to grow too fast, but I am looking forward to reading again. One day. Lucky bastard.

SeattleDan said...

Hee, hee...Thanks! I love the photo.

I'm reading "How Rome Fell", a recent book on what the title describes. Also Robin Wright's "Evolution of God", which so far seems to be a history of religions, especially the Abrahamic ones. I'm looking forward to "Cooperstown Confidential" which promises to be the inside story on the Baseball Hall-of-Fame.