"Where else would you go when you have an ax to grind?"

Friday, October 09, 2009

And what did you do before breakfast today?

Because Barry Hussien MalcomXstalinhitlermugabemarxlenin Obama just won the Nobel Peace Prize.
Apparently he got for saying nice things about peace and international cooperation and basically repudiating American exceptionalism the last eight years.
Frankly, I think it is a bit premature to be handing out peace prizes before there is any actual peace happening, but if they can give it to Kissinger for extending ending the Vietnam War, I guess this is kosher.
This is the third Nobel Peace Prize handed out as a "fuck you" to the Bush Administration, after the awards to Al Gore and Jimmy Carter. I don't see that as a bad thing, but it does seem a bit excessive.


That sound you hear like popcorn popping is wingnut heads a'splodin' .


From the Dept. of Sober Second Thought

From my comments at Our Man in Abiko: my first reaction when I saw this on the wires at work was that we would see a retraction and correction in a matter of minutes. It was sort of a "they gave it to who? for what?
I get the whole "ending American exceptionalism" thing and the whole "let's ditch the nukes" thing, but I'll believe that when I see some missiles getting dismantled and the US insisting that Israel obey the UN. I'm not holding my breath. I could see it a couple of years from now if and when he's ended the Iraq war and the Afghanistan war, but this seems to be jumping the gun a bit.

Still, if they must hand this out every year, I suppose there are worse choices. As far as I know, all you need to get nominated is a letter from a sitting member of a national legislature, so I think we can assume that George W.Bush, Dick Cheney and Vladimir Putin were among the more than 200 nominees.
The interesting part now will be seeing how he handles it. What charity will the money be given to? Will he attend the award ceremony and give a speech? Will Rush Limbaugh have a stroke on the air?

2 comments:

Our Man in Abiko said...

Shit. Thought the good Rev. Paperboy was ahead of Obama. How many wars for oil have you continued, how many third world countries have you invaded?

You're doin' something wrong, padre.

Rev.Paperboy said...

Don't get me wrong OMIA, I don't think Obama deserves this by a long shot, but he's hardly the first winner that didn't deserve it. Its a fait accompli now and I'd guess Obama is as surprised as anyone. My main interest in this is going to be watching the reich-wing meltdown over the next week or so.