"Where else would you go when you have an ax to grind?"

Saturday, January 14, 2012

readin' readin' readin'


#5 The Sister Brothers by Patrick DeWitt
Not many reviewers can resist comparing The Sister Brothers to the Cohen Brothers' version of True Grit and not without reason. The dialogue has the same declamatory feel and both works have their own odd sense of humour. It didn't win the Governor General's award for nothing. A fine, seemingly simple style (which is always the hardest stuff to write) and a few truly memorable scenes and images.
And if the Coen Brothers don't do the film version, there is no justice in this world.
As usual, leave suggestions in the comments.


http://www.wikio.com

1 comment:

M@ said...

I just finished the Sisters Brothers last week and I was surprised by how little I really liked it. It came highly recommended, and I very much wanted to like it, but it just left me cold.

I mean it was a good story, and well told, but it didn't really ring with me, y'know? Different strokes I guess.